5 steps to get a visa


Find a Polish consulate that can process you application.
You can use the MFA’s search engine http://mfa.gov.pl


Read the information concerning visa application on the consulate’s website and follow ALL the instructions.


Set a visa appointment with the consulate. In most cases you will have to register through the website: http://www.e-konsulat.gov.pl


Prepare documents: application form, passport, biometric photo, health insurance, acceptance letter from the university.


Submit all the documents including a printed and signed application form and the visa fee. Your visa application is complete. It will take up to 15 days for it to be reviewed.

Visa information


If you are a citizen of an EU member state the only thing you need to have to enter Poland is a valid travel document or a document confirming identity and citizenship (i.e. your national ID). However, if you wish to travel abroad during your stay in Poland it is a good idea to have a passport with you, as it is necessary to visit some of Poland’s neighbours that don’t belong to the EU.

For a stay shorter than three months there are no formal requirements. Your studies will however take longer. For such a stay a registration of residence is necessary. You should register with Voivodship (Provincial) Office


The two main documents you need to enter Poland if are not an EU citizen are:

  • passport
  • a visa (if required)


You can check if you need visa to enter Poland on the official website of the Ministry  http://www.msz.gov.pl

Poland is a part of the Schengen zone, so you can apply for a Polish visa and travel all around Europe (excluding the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia and states outside of the EU).

There are several types of visas to choose from:

  • “A” type – an airport transit Schengen visa, so it cannot be used by a student coming to Poland
  • “C” type – a short-term Schengen visa allowing the holder to stay in the Schengen territory for up to 90 days in 180 days period
  • “D” type – a long-term national visa issued for up to one year allowing travel around the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a 180 days period A visa can only be extended in exceptional situations. Should you need to stay in Poland longer than specified in your visa please do apply for the temporary residence permit (see below)